Entrepreneur Mark Cuban has ventured into many diverse businesses. He made his fortune through the sale of startups MicroSolutions and Broadcast.com in the 1990s, and later became known as the zealous owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks. Cuban has also invested in film production, and has appeared on such TV series as Dancing with the Stars and Shark Tank.
Here are some useful start-up rules from billionaire Mark Cuban.
1. Don’t start a company unless its an obsession and something you love.
2. If you have an exit strategy, its not an obsession.
3. Hire people who you think will love working there.
4. Sales Cures All. Know how your company will make money and how you will actually make sales.
5. Know your core competencies and focus on being great at them. Pay up for people in your core competencies. Get the best. Outside the core competencies, hire people that fit your culture but are cheap.
6. An expresso machine? Are you kidding me? Shoot yourself before you spend money on an expresso machine. Coffee is for closers. Sodas are free. Lunch is a chance to get out of the office and talk. There are 24 hours in a day, and if people like their jobs, they will find ways to use as much of it as possible to do their jobs.
7. No offices. Open offices keeps everyone in tune with what is going on and keeps the energy up. If an employee is about privacy, show them how to use the lock on the john. There is nothing private in a start up. This is also a good way to keep from hiring execs who can not operate successfully in a startup. My biggest fear was always hiring someone who wanted to build an empire. If the person demands to fly first class or to bring over their secretary, run away. If an exec wont go on salescalls, run away. They are empire builders and will pollute your company.
8. As far as technology, go with what you know. That is always the cheapest way. If you know Apple, use it. If you know Vista… ask yourself why, then use it. Its a startup, there are just a few employees. Let people use what they know.
9. Keep the organization flat. If you have managers reporting to managers in a startup, you will fail. Once you get beyond startup, if you have managers reporting to managers, you will create politics.
10. NEVER EVER EVER buy swag. A sure sign of failure for a startup is when someone sends me logo polo shirts. If your people are at shows and in public, its ok to buy for your own folks, but if you really think someone is going to wear your Yobaby.com polo you sent them in public, you are mistaken and have no idea how to spend your money.
11. NEVER EVER EVER hire a PR firm. A PR firm will call or email people in the publications, shows and websites you already watch, listen to and read. Those people publish their emails. Whenever you consume any information related to your field, get the email of the person publishing it and send them an email introducing yourself and the company. Their job is to find new stuff. They will welcome hearing from the founder instead of some PR flack. Once you establish communications with that person, make yourself available to answer their questions about the industry and be a source for them. If you are smart, they will use you.
12. Make the job fun for employees. Keep a pulse on the stress levels and accomplishments of your people and reward them. My first company, MicroSolutions, when we had a record sales month, or someone did something special, I would walk around handing out 100 dollar bills to salespeople. At Broadcast.com and MicroSolutions, we had a company shot. Kamikaze. We would take people to a bar every now and then and buy one or 10 for everyone. At MicroSolutions, more often than not we had vendors cover the tab. Vendors always love a good party.
Source: Mark Cuban’s Blog
SEE ALSO: 28 Elon Musk Quotes That Show His Genius
How to Better Manage Your Household Budget When the Cost of Living is So High
Cultivating Wellness: The Connection Between Oral Health and Overall Well-Being
100 Words of Encouragement and Strength in Hard Times
The Property Market: A Deep Dive into Current Trends and Future Forecasts
What Are Piste Maps and How Do They Help Skiers?
Can You Turn a Mental Health Crisis Into a Turning Point for Success?
4 Benefits of Strategic Workforce Partnerships
Maximizing Efficiency: How QuickBooks Setup Services Can Transform Your Business
Expanding Your Home Inspection Business: Franchising Opportunities
Recovering Strong: How To Stay Healthy Both Physically and Mentally After an Injury
12 SEO Trends You Can’t Ignore in 2023 – An SEO Expert’s Guide to Surviving the Competition
Ways To Bond With Your Pet And Show Them You Love Them
How To Create The Best YouTube Marketing Video To Impress Your Audience
9 Ways To Travel More Conveniently
What Are The Benefits of Outsourcing?
7 Ways to Influence Your Audience Psychology with Banner Advertising
How To Get High-Quality Niche Edits In 2023: A Complete Guide!
83 Hard Work Quotes to Boost Your Motivation
63 Personal Growth Quotes To Inspire You
53 Gym Quotes To Keep You Motivated During Workouts
Quotes6 years ago
Health is Wealth | Top 10 Health Quotes (Images) to Inspire You to Live a Healthier Life
Quotes8 years ago
50 Most Powerful Quotes Ever Spoken
Quotes9 years ago
50 Best Zig Ziglar Quotes on Success
Quotes5 years ago
83 Motivational Chinese Proverbs, Quotes & Sayings on Life and Success
Quotes8 years ago
33 Inspirational Quotes about Strength and Courage
Motivation3 years ago
4 Fun New Hobbies To Try This Year
Quotes9 years ago
Top 50 Buddha Quotes to Enlighten Your Mind
Quotes9 years ago
37 Awesome Quotes That Will Inspire You To Take Risk